NEET Exam Pattern 2024 - Total Marks, Marks Distribution, Marking Scheme
NEET Exam Pattern 2024 has been officially released by The National Testing Agency (NTA) on the authorized website neet.nta.nic.in. The NEET examination is set to span 200 minutes. The question paper will comprise 200 questions, of which candidates must attempt 180. PwD candidates will receive an additional 65 minutes for the NEET exam.
NEET Exam Pattern 2024: By the revised NEET exam pattern, candidates will now have internal choice in Section B. Out of 15 questions in this section, they must attempt any 10. This adaptation aims to accommodate the reduction in syllabus by various educational boards.
For NEET 2024, similar to the previous year, the exam will be conducted in 13 languages in the traditional pen-and-paper mode. As a valuable resource, candidates can download past years' NEET Question Papers to grasp the paper pattern and understand the weightage of essential topics. NEET marking scheme followed: correct Answers: +4 marks, Incorrect Answers: -1 mark, Maximum Marks: 720. Having a thorough understanding of the NEET exam pattern is essential for adequate preparation to ace the exam.
NEET Exam Pattern 2024 Overview
The NEET 2024 Application Form is expected to be released in January 2024 on the official website neet.nta.nic.in. To apply, candidates must meet the minimum age requirement of 17 years as of December 31, 2024. Eligibility criteria include passing class 12 with Physics, Chemistry, and Biology, securing a minimum of 50% (40% for reserved categories).
In the previous year, a significant number of candidates, approximately 20.38 lakhs, registered for NEET. A similar trend is expected for NEET 2024, with over 20 lakh candidates anticipated to appear for the exam. NEET 2024 will be conducted in 13 languages to accommodate candidates nationwide.
The exam pattern will consist of 200 questions equally distributed among Physics, Chemistry, Zoology, and Botany. Each section will have two parts, A and B, with 35 and 15 questions, respectively B. Candidates must attempt 10 out of 15 questions in part B.
The syllabus for NEET 2024 aligns with the NCERT syllabus for classes 11 and 12 in Biology, Chemistry, and Physics. There is no expected reduction in the syllabus this year. Biology syllabus encompasses 10 units (5 each from classes 11 and 12), Chemistry covers 30 chapters/units, and Physics comprises 10 chapters from class 11 and 9 from class 12.
Prospective NEET 2024 candidates are advised to download and solve NEET's previous year's question papers to familiarize themselves with the question paper pattern and significant aspects of the syllabus. Last year's paper demonstrated moderate difficulty with no unexpected elements, slightly easier than the 2022 NEET paper.
NEET Exam Important Dates
The NEET 2024 exam date has been officially announced by the NTA and is provided in the calendar released on nta.ac.in. The NEET 2024 exam will be conducted in Pen and Paper (PBT) mode from 2:00 PM to 5:20 PM on the specified date. For a comprehensive list of important dates and events related to NEET 2024, please refer to the table below:
NEET Exam Pattern 2024
The National Medical Commission (NMC) has introduced the NEET-UG syllabus for the year 2024. This syllabus will be the basis for setting the NEET 2024 question paper. In NEET 2024, every section or subject will feature a choice in Section "B" as per the National Testing Agency's (NTA) decision. Consequently, the NEET exam pattern for 2024 is structured into two parts for each subject:
- 35 Questions in Section A
- 15 Questions in Section B
Candidates can attempt any 10 out of the 15 questions in Section B. Thus, the total number of questions remains the same. An additional 20 minutes have been allocated in a noteworthy update, extending the total duration of the NEET-UG 2024 exam to 200 minutes. It's essential to emphasize that only the first 10 attempted questions from Section B will be evaluated if a candidate answers more than 10 questions.
NEET 2024 will be conducted offline, utilizing the pen-and-paper method for marking responses on the provided OMR sheet.
Key Highlights of the NEET 2024 Exam Pattern:
- Total Sections: The question paper in NEET 2024 will be segregated into four distinct sections, namely Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology.
- Examination Mode: NEET remains an offline examination, exclusively conducted in the pen-and-paper mode at designated test centers.
- Question Types: The NEET question paper strictly consists of multiple-choice questions (MCQs); no descriptive-type questions are included.
- Duration of Examination: The latest NEET exam pattern 2024 has extended the exam duration from 3 hours to 3 hours and 20 minutes. However, for Persons with Disabilities (PwD) candidates, the exam duration is further increased to 265 minutes.
- Negative Marking: Adhering to the NEET exam marking pattern, 1 mark will be deducted for each incorrect answer marked by the candidate.
- Marks Allotted for Correct Answers: Every correct answer in NEET is rewarded with 4 marks.
- Total Number of Questions: Each subject encompasses 50 questions, requiring candidates to attempt 45 out of the given questions.
- Total Marks: The NEET 2024 exam is structured for 720 marks, encompassing all sections and questions in the paper.
NEET Physics Exam Pattern
The NEET Physics paper has two distinct sections: Section A and Section B. Section A comprises 35 questions, while Section B contains 15 questions. From the 15 questions in Section B, candidates can attempt any 10 questions. Consequently, the number of questions and the time allocation for the examination will remain unchanged.
NEET Biology Exam Pattern
Biology is categorized into Zoology and Botany, each further divided into Sections A and B. There will be 100 questions in this section, with candidates required to attempt only 10 out of the 100 questions.
NEET Chemistry Exam Pattern
There are two sections in NEET Chemistry: A and B, with 35 and 15 questions, respectively. The question format is exclusively multiple-choice (MCQ) in nature. In section B, candidates have the advantage of internal choice, where they must attempt only 10 questions out of the 15 provided.
NEET Exam 2024 Eligibility Criteria
Here are the primary eligibility criteria for appearing in NEET UG 2024:
- Eligible Categories: Indian Nationals, Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), Overseas Citizens of India (OCI), Persons of Indian Origin (PIO), and Foreign Nationals are eligible to enroll in NEET.
- Age Criteria: Candidates must be at least 17 years old either at the time of admission or before December 31 of the year they join the MBBS/BDS course. There is no upper age limit for NEET-UG applicants.
- Educational Qualifications: Candidates should have individually passed Physics, Chemistry, Biology/Biotechnology, and English in their qualifying examination, with a minimum aggregate of 50% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Biotechnology.
- For Class XII Appearing Candidates: Students appearing for the Class XII examination in 2024 can provisionally take the NEET 2024 entrance test, subject to fulfilling the required conditions later.
- Relaxed Criteria for Reserved Categories: Scheduled Caste (SC), Scheduled Tribes (ST), and Other Backward Classes (OBC) candidates have a simple aggregate requirement of 40% in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology/Biotechnology.
For Pursuing MBBS/BDS Abroad: Indian Citizens/Overseas Citizens of India seeking to pursue MBBS/BDS from a foreign Medical/Dental Institute must qualify for NEET 2024.
How To Apply for NEET 2024?
NTA WILL MAKE the NEET 2024 application form available on its official website, neet.nta.nic.in. Prospective candidates can begin the registration process tentatively from the first week of April 2024.
The initial registration period for NEET 2024 is set for one month, but the NTA may extend it if necessary.
Following the completion of the NEET 2024 application process, NTA will provide an opportunity for applicants to make corrections. It's important to note that the entire NEET application procedure is conducted online.
Key points regarding the NEET application form and registration are as follows:
- Candidates should apply for NEET through the NTA NEET website using the online application process.
- Each applicant should submit only one application. The NTA will reject multiple applications from the same candidate.
- During registration, candidates must use a valid email address and phone number.
- The NEET application process involves several steps: registration, filling out the application form, uploading images, making online fee payments, and printing the application form.
- All candidates must upload proof of their present and permanent address during the NEET (UG) - 2024 online application form.
- After completing the application process, applicants are advised to print the application form and keep a copy of the fee payment proof for future reference.
- Candidates are not required to send or submit any documents, including the confirmation page, to the NTA via post, fax, or in person.
Here are the steps to fill out the NEET 2024 application form:
- Visit the official website of NEET 2024, neet.nta.nic.in.
- Click on the Registration tab.
- Fill in the required personal, contact, and other details.
- Choose a password for your application.
- Verify your details by entering the OTP received on your mobile number and email address.
- Your NEET 2024 application credentials will be generated.
- Complete the application form by giving additional personal, educational, and NEET exam preference details.
- Upload your photograph, signature, and category certificates (if applicable).
- Pay the NEET 2024 application fee using options such as credit/debit card, net banking, UPI, or Paytm.
NEET 2024 Application Fee
The NEET 2024 application fee is a required payment during the application process. The fee can be remitted online through credit/debit cards, net banking, UPI, or Paytm. The conducting authority will specify the precise amount of the application fee.
Candidates must ensure timely payment of the fee to complete their application. Please do so to avoid the rejection of the candidate's application. Refer to the table below for the application fee details for NEET:
NEET Exam Pattern 2024 Marking Scheme
The NEET 2024 examination will encompass a total of 200 multiple-choice objective-type questions. Out of these, candidates need to attempt 180 MCQs. The NEET exam for 2024 will be graded out of a total of 720 marks. Each subject is segregated into two sections: Section A and Section B.
Section A includes 35 questions, while Section B contains 15 questions. Within Section B, candidates are required to answer 10 questions. The question papers will be based on the Physics, Chemistry, and Biology syllabus from classes 11 and 12.
Candidates will be awarded 4 marks for each correct answer, with a deduction of 1 mark for every incorrect answer. Significantly, once the answers are marked on the NEET OMR sheet, they cannot be altered.
- By the NEET marking scheme for 2024, a correct answer will add 4 marks to your score, while an incorrect answer will incur a deduction of 1 mark.
- It's optional to respond to every question. There is no penalty for leaving a question unanswered.
- Once you finalize an answer, you cannot alter it.
- Multiple answers will be considered incorrect responses and result in negative markings.
NEET Exam Pattern Language Options
Candidates should consider the language options available during the NEET 2024 exam registration process. The exam is conducted in 13 languages across various exam centers, although the choice of language medium is contingent on specific exam centers.
Here are essential points regarding language selection for the NEET exam:
- Candidates can choose the question paper medium from the following languages: English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarati, Malayalam, Kannada, Marathi, Odia, Tamil, Telugu, Urdu, or Punjabi.
- The selection of the language medium is made during the form-filling process.
- Once the language medium is selected, candidates cannot alter it at a later stage.
- Candidates who opt for English will receive the exam booklet in English only.
- Candidates who choose Hindi will receive a bilingual test booklet in Hindi and English.
- Candidates who choose vernacular languages will receive a bilingual test booklet in the chosen language and English.
- If there is any ambiguity in the translation of a question, the English version will be considered final.
NEET Exam Instructions for OMR Sheet
NEET candidates must be well-versed in the proper procedure for accurately completing the NEET 2024 OMR sheet during the examination. Below are the instructions for correctly filling out the NEET OMR sheet:
- Follow the guidelines set by NTA, and use a ballpoint pen to mark all your answers in the NEET exam.
- The authorities provide A ballpoint pen inside the exam hall for your use.
- Ensure that you mark the test booklet code on the NEET OMR sheet 2024, as it is essential.
- Adhere to the NEET exam pattern, where once answers are marked on the OMR sheet, they cannot be erased.
NEET Exam Pattern: Weightage Of the Topics
Candidates can consult the section below to grasp the topic-wise weightage of subjects in NEET. NEET Physics preparation should factor in the topic-wise weightage derived from analyzing the exam patterns of past years. For subject-wise topic weightage, the table below can be a valuable reference.
Biology holds significant importance in the NEET examination; thus, particular focus should be given during preparation. NEET comprises 100 questions, with 50 questions from Botany and Zoology.
NEET exam aspirants can utilize the following table to understand the distribution of topics. NEET Chemistry is organized into three sections: Physical Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Inorganic Chemistry. Candidates are encouraged to review the subject-wise topics below for precise preparation.
NEET Exam Duration
According to the NEET exam pattern, the total duration of the NEET 2024 examination is 3 hours and 20 minutes. The NEET UG exam will take place from 2:00 PM to 5:20 PM in offline mode. Candidates are required to finish the NEET question paper within this stipulated time. They should arrive at the exam center 45 minutes before the start of the exam. The exam booklet will be distributed 15 minutes before the exam begins.
NEET Registrations: Language wise
Regarding NEET registrations for the 2024 session, NTA has not provided specific details. In the meantime, aspirants can review language-wise NEET registration details from 2022 in the table below.
NEET Paper Analysis
After completing the medical entrance test, aspirants must understand the NEET analysis for 2024. This analysis provides valuable insights into the question's difficulty and allows aspirants to assess their performance in the NEET exam. A thorough examination of the NEET paper helps clear doubts regarding exam clearance and enables aspirants to consider the medical colleges to which they could potentially gain admission.
How to Attempt a NEET Question Paper in 200 Minutes?
To tackle 180 questions within the 200-minute time frame, candidates require an effective time management strategy. Considering the increasing competition, with over 18 lakh candidates
registering for NEET each year, mastering time management is crucial for achieving a high score. A professionally crafted time management plan is presented to aid NEET 2024 aspirants in efficiently attempting the NEET question paper in the allocated 200 minutes.
The remaining 20 minutes should be dedicated to reviewing the question paper and cross-checking the NEET OMR sheet. During this time, candidates should focus on attempting unattended MCQs and carefully reassessing the questions initially marked for later evaluation. Utilizing this time efficiently is essential for maximizing their overall attempt and ensuring accuracy.
NEET Exam Cut-off
The NEET cut-off represents the minimum marks candidates need to attain for admission into MBBS, BDS, and AYUSH courses at medical colleges in India through NEET. The anticipated release date for the NEET 2024 cut-off is June 2024. NTA will be responsible for announcing the cut-off in conjunction with the result. Here is the expected cut-off for NEET 2024:
NEET Preparation Tips By Toppers
NEET toppers have consistently followed effective strategies to achieve the highest scores in the NEET UG exam. To understand their approaches, let's delve into the key strategies they employed:
- Consistent Daily Study: NEET toppers like Mrinal Kutteri emphasize regular, shorter study intervals over long study sessions a few times a week. Studying for 3-4 hours each day is considered more productive.
- Value of NCERT Textbooks: Toppers stress the importance of NCERT textbooks. They recommend thoroughly studying NCERT books for each subject to establish a strong foundation before moving on to other study materials.
- Prioritize Revision: Toppers stress the significance of regular revision to reinforce memorization and understanding of the studied material. Weekly revisions play a crucial role in maximizing retention.
- Practice with Mock Tests and Sample Papers: Taking mock tests and solving sample papers is integral to NEET preparation. Toppers advise attempting more than 30 mock tests and utilizing the previous year's NEET papers for extensive practice.
- Effective Note-taking: Toppers highlight the benefits of note-taking. They recommend making notes for challenging, practical, or new concepts encountered during their NEET UG exam preparation.
NEET Exam Pattern 2024 Preparation Books
Candidates getting ready for the NEET 2024 examination should refer to the designated standard books for all subjects. These books have been recommended considering the NEET exam pattern and syllabus. Utilizing the NEET subject-wise NEET study materials is a proven method to pass the exam with high scores confidently.
NEET Exam Pattern 2024: FAQ’s
1) What is the NTA NEET paper pattern?
The NEET paper pattern, defined by NTA, outlines how the question paper is structured and how marks are assigned to candidates. The recent revision in the NEET exam pattern extended the exam duration from 180 to 200 minutes. Additionally, each subject is now divided into sections A and B, containing 35 and 15 questions, respectively.
2) How many papers are there in the NEET exam?
The NEET question paper is divided into four sections: Physics, Chemistry, Botany, and Zoology. These subjects are incorporated into a single paper; no separate papers exist. However, candidates can choose the language of their preference for the examination during the registration process.
3) Is there any negative marking in NEET?
Yes, there is a negative marking in NEET. Each correct answer is awarded 4 marks, but 1 mark is deducted from the overall score for each incorrect answer. However, there is no negative marking for questions left unattempted. Since candidates use an OMR sheet, it cannot be changed once an answer is marked.
4) As per the NEET exam pattern 2024, what questions will be asked in the paper?
NEET exclusively consists of Multiple Choice Questions (MCQs). Each question is followed by four options, of which one is correct. Descriptive-type questions are not included in the NEET 2024 exam.
5) Are there any sectional time limits per the new NEET exam pattern?
No, no specific time limits are assigned to each section in NEET. Candidates can allocate time from the total duration to any particular section or question according to their strategy and preference.
IIT Jee Study Material For Physics, Chemistry, And Maths